This farm was part of the Wimpole Estate, it was a significant farm in the centre of the village, but was not especially large in extent. In 1892 combined with Moco the land totalled just over 235 acres.
It was sold at the Wimpole Estate sale on 31 December 1892 and bought, along with Moco Farm and Lower Gatley Farm, by John Jarman.
The original conveyance lists the plots belonging to Church and Moco Farms in Schedule 1.
After John Jarman’s death, his trustees sold the Church & Moco Farms at auction on 12 July 1933, described as 230 acres in total, but split across ten lots for purposes of sale. This and other sales in the interim are recorded as Memoranda and a Note on the original 1892 conveyance, which is summarised here.
31 December 1892 Conveyance of Church, Moco and Lower Gatley Farms from 1 Hardwicke Estate Trustees to 2 John Jarman Purchase Price £12,976 19s 7d.
All those two freehold farms known as Moco Farm and Church Farm, both situate Steeple Morden and the farmhouses cottages buildings lands and hereditaments containing 235a 21p described in first schedule and delineated on plan edged in yellow now occupied by F James Hunt Secondly all that freehold farm known as The Lower Gatley End Farm with the farmhouse buildings lands and hereditaments containing 261a 7p and now in occupation of William Westrope described in second schedule and delineated on plan in pink John Jarman to have right of way to parcel 184 through parcel 186 retained by Hardwicke Trustees
Memorandum By Indenture 7 January 1921 between 1 Exors of John Jarman, 2 Mary Jarman and 3 Frederick Thomas Parrish The Lower Gatley End Farm conveyed to Frederick Thomas Parrish
Memorandum By Indenture 21 May 1921 between 1 Exors of John Jarman 2, Mary Jarman and 3 Melbourn Rural District Council a piece of land containing 1a 2r part of parcel No 188 conveyed to Melbourn RDC
Memorandum By Deed 22 July 1933 a piece of land (part of Church Farm) containing a frontage to the High Street from Ashwell to Potton towards the east of twenty feet and a depth of forty feet was conveyed to the North Metropolitan Electric Power Supply Company
Memorandum By Conveyance 5 October 1933 between 1 Exors of John Jarman and 2 William South 31a 0r 35p of land on West side of road leading from Steeple Morden to Guilden Morden being Lot 1 at sale by auction 12 July 1933 conveyed to William South
Memorandum By Conveyance 5 October 1933 between 1 Exors of John Jarman and 2 Ernest Wilfred Pepper 31a 1r 38p of land on East side of road leading from Steeple Morden to Ashwell and Morden Station being Lot 2 at sale by auction 12 July 1933 conveyed to Ernest Wilfred Pepper
Memorandum By Conveyance 3 October 1933 between 1 Exors of John Jarman and 2 George Frederick Jarman 67a 0r 31p of land and buildings known as Moco Farm being Lots 5 and 6 at sale by auction 12 July 1933 conveyed to George Frederick Jarman
Memorandum By Conveyance 3 October 1933 between 1 Exors of John Jarman and 2 Francis William Bertram Parrish 25a 3r 12p of land known as Church Farm with dwelling house and outbuildings being Lot 8 at sale by auction 12 July 1933 conveyed to Francis William Bertram Parrish
Note Lots 3, 4 and 7 at sale by auction 12 July 1933 containing together 73a 2r 22p were sold to the Cambs County Council who as the largest purchasers for value are entitled to the within written indenture
PAGE IN PREPARATION
Click on image to view. Click again to enlarge. Drag to view entire image.
Land Sales and Sale Particulars
Last Updated on February 2, 2021