Community…..Church and Chapel
There has been a Christian church here since Saxon times and it may have had a role as a minster church, with influence extending to other parishes in the area. The present parish church, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, was built in the early 1200s, although much changed since.
Nonconformity in the parish, is first mentioned 1779 and Methodists had a place of worship from at least 1823, although their chapel was not built until 1835.
Relations between the two churches have been generally harmonious, although in 1901 the actions of the Vicar provoked, if not a schism, at least a hiatus.
Last Updated on July 17, 2020