The Hoops PH, 32 The Green aka Willow Dene & Green End
This house is the oldest surviving property on The Green and is believed to have been built in the late 1600s and originally was likely thatched. The single story extension on the east is probably slightly later. The house was erected on what was was originally common land and it is likely it encroached on the roadway that ran past on the east, which is long since reduced to a track or footpath. See The Green: Origins & Development.
This would have been a small farmstead with modest agricultural buildings. The availability of water from what was then a substantial stream fed from a spring on the Church Farm boundary to the west would have influenced the choice of site. Even as late as 1846 this stream was called a river in sale particulars. Before 1846 the property became a public house named The Hoops and remained so until the licence was withdrawn in 1905, since when it has been a private house, known as Willow Dene in the 1930s and Green End by 1939. Neither name appears to be in use in 2022.
Owners of 32 The Green
|1810-1846||Edward Hall jun|
|1846-1906||Messrs Phillips||Brewers of Royston|
|1906-1910||William South||Now private house|
|1910-1915||William Christmas ?|
|1920-1935||Thomas Andrew Elsmere and Emma Annie Elsmere|
|1935-1939||Thomas Andrew Elsmere|
|1939-1949||Henry Kiell Ayliff & Gertrude E Ayliff||Henry died 1949|
|1959-1960||Albert William Grundy & Phyllis Marguerite Grundy|
|1961||Phyllis Marguerite Grundy|
|1966-1974||Col Hugh Vincent Fraser & Mabel Maureen O’Connor Fraser|
|1974-1980||George Brian Nelson and Giselle Nelson|
|1980-2004||Richard James Dancey and Sheila Margaret Dancey|
|2004-2011||Richard James Dancey|
|2011-2013||Richard James Dancey, Exors of|
|2015-Today||Richard William Dance & Sarah Meer|
Tenants of 32 The Green
|1810-1818||Edward Hall jun||Owner|
|1889-1890||George William Gipson|
|1899-1910||William John Wilson|
|1915 onwards||Owner occupied ?|
PAGE IN PREPARATION
Listing Details: Grade II since 4 September 1986
Cottage. Late C17 with C20 renovation. Timber-framed and roughcast rendered. Plain tiled roof. Rebuilt red brick ridge stack. Two storeys with single storey range to east with gable end stack. Three unit, lobby entry plan. C20 closed porch with glazed door, and boarded door to left hand. Three large ground floor casement windows with central glazing bars and three small first floor casement windows.
Listing details: Grade II since 4 September 1986
Stands in garden two metres south of house. Pump. Possibly C18. Lead spout to cistern with iron lever and wooden long case.
Images and Newspaper Reports
Last Updated on April 17, 2023