The Green Man PH, Hay Street
This was an important early industrial site and was much more than a public house, as behind The Green Man lay a substantial brewing and malting business, active by 1810 or earlier. The house is a replacement built in 1884 and it closed as a public house in 1959.
The Green Man was effectively the brewery tap and fronted the brewing empire, although the tenants of the public house were not necessarily the brewers and maltsters. This was a common brewery, which means simply that it brewed to supply others. It did not brew solely for itself and was not tied to specific customers; it brewed hopefully for the world.
At the time of Enclosure in 1816 John Strickland received a small allotment in lieu of copyhold right of common late John Hall in the Crofts. In extent it was 1a 2r 25p and abutted on the west an ancient enclosure owned by John Strickland, which was the site of the brewery, maltings and public house. The new allotment was described as having on the north Abington Road, south east private road [now Brook End], south allotment to Edward Hall and west old enclosure purchased by John Strickland of John Hall. See map below.
When the Tithe Apportionment and Map were prepared in 1839 the two plots were numbered 56 and 57, with the ancient enclosure given the number 56 and there are extensive buildings shown on this plot. It is described as owned by John Collett and occupied by Thomas Strickland: house and malting etc 1a 2r 17p. Plot 57 is also owned by John Collett and occupied by Benjamin Christmas: a close of arable known as Sprats Hedge Side 1a 2r 22p.
The owners are recorded as
|1810-1811||John Hall||of Steeple Morden|
|1812-1822||John Strickland||of Steeple Morden|
|1822-1839||Ebenezer John Collett||hop merchant|
|1839-1858||John Collett||hop merchant|
|1858-1876||Thomas Strickland||of Potton|
|1877-1893||Alfred Richardson||brewer of Biggleswade, later of Potton|
|1894-1900||John Holden||John Brown Staines Holden brewer of Henlow, in name of Mrs Holden|
|1900-1959||Wells & Winch||brewers of Biggleswade|
|1959+||Walter Edwin Rogers|
The Strickland Ownership and Bankruptcy
There is a story behind the ownership as John Strickland was declared bankrupt in 1822 and his main creditor Ebenezer John Collett hop merchant of London, took his Steeple Morden properties. When Ebenezer John died in 1833 he left all the properties to his son John, who decided that on his own death they should pass to Thomas Strickland, son of John. Rather a neat father and son equation. John Collett brought the day of restitution forward by committing suicide in 1858, by shooting himself in his library.
Alfred Richardson sold his brewing business to John Brown Staines Holden in 1894, who in turn sold to Wells & Winch of Biggleswade in 1900.
The Great Rebuild
In 1884 Alfred Richardson decided it was time to upgrade The Green Man and replace the old beerhouse with a newly erected public hose with a full licence. Various newspaper reports are below.
The tenants are recorded as
|1803-1858||Benjamin Christmas||maltster and farmer|
|1858-1869||James Christmas||beer retailer and farmer|
|1905-1905||John Thomas Atkinson|
|1905-1908||John A Adamthwaite|
|1939-1959||Walter Edwin Rogers||son in law of Joseph Grayling|
Today and Modern Times
The property has been a private house since 1959 and is No 130 Hay Street, known as Fourways and renamed in 2020 as The Old Green Man.
PAGE IN PREPARATION
Click on image to view. Click again to enlarge. Drag to view complete image.
These are the relevant extracts from the Sale Particulars, when the Executors of Thomas Strickland deceased sold his entire estate in 1876. Highlighting and annotations are modern.
Last Updated on February 5, 2021