21 Hay Street, Rutland House
The land, upon which this house stands, was acquired by William South at the sale of Church and Moco farms on 12 July 1933, when the vendors were the Trustees of John Jarman. It was Lot 1 and he paid £720 for 31a 0r 35p.
This detached house was designed by architect G H Russell of Hitchin and a set of plans and elevations are in the Ashwell Museum. It was built in 1938 by Brays the builders of Ashwell. Local joiner John Brockett hung all the internal doors and they are still in situ. John Brockett was a fine craftsman and ultimate worker with wood.
The house was commissioned by Victor William Duke South of The Cross, Steeple Morden. He and his wife Phyllis were resident in their new home by September 1939, where they lived until 1959/60. They received planning permission to build a new detached house and garage at 57 Station Road on 28 April 1958.
Vic South sold the house to Sidney Dawson, who had been born 28 April 1895 at Edith Weston, Rutland and it was he who named it Rutland House. In 1969 David Crow bought it from the Dawson family, after Sidney died in 1966, and has lived there ever since and it is still known as Rutland House.
Garage and bathroom extension approved August 1979. Extension June 1986 and extensions June 1996.
Last Updated on February 5, 2021