12 Station Road
A bungalow standing on half of an ancient enclosure, which was part of a farm acquired by St John’s College, Cambridge in 1517 and 1527. The College sold the estate in Steeple Morden in 1956.
The ancient enclosure is shown on the Enclosure and Tithe Maps below and is the small plot, south of the Church, number 23.
There was an old thatched cottage on this plot in the past and the resident “Donkey” Hammond came out one morning to go to work and found that the fierce storm overnight had toppled a tree and it had fallen directly on the cottage. He merely glanced at this state of affairs, picked up his bike and cycled off to work.
This plot was sold by Gladys Agnes Jarman on 26 May 1977 to Basil and Norma Williamson, who had the bungalow built.
On 1 May 2003 a small area of land on the south was acquired from the Rule family, owners of the orchard and amalgamated with this original plot.
PAGE IN PREPARATION
The owners, occupiers, descriptions and extents of plots as numbered on the Tithe Map 1839 below
|22||Earl of Hardwicke||John Willshire||Garden & grove||1a 0r 17p|
|23||St John’s College||John Morris||Cottage & garden||0a 1r 4p|
|24||Earl of Hardwicke||Henry Theobalds||Allotment arable||2a 1r 30p|
|25||Thomas Goodchild||Various||Gardens arable||1a 2r 21p|
|26||Elizabeth Barker||James Izzard||Beerhouse etc||0a 1r 29p|
|27||Elizabeth Barker||William Jarman||Cottage & garden||0a 2r 18p|
|28||Elizabeth Barker||William Tolt [Tott]||Cottage & garden||0a 2r 20p|
|29||Earl of Hardwicke||Bennet Charter||Allotment arable||3a 0r 16p|
|30||John Holben Strickland||Himself||Close arable||1a 2r 32p|
|31||Elizabeth Barker||Herself||Arable||1a 2r 36p|
|32||Thomas Goodchild||James Goodchild||Mill Piece arable||1a 1r 0p|
|33||Elizabeth Barker||Herself||Mill House & gdn||0a 2r 4p|
Last Updated on August 22, 2020