119 Hay Street, Ashcroft House
Standing on the corner of Hay Street and Trap Road, this house was numbered 75 Hay Street from 1969 to 1974 and 83 Hay Street 1975 to 1076 and 119 Hay Street from 1977 to the present day. Previously known as Hill House from at least 1851 to 1911, it is not certain when it became Ashcroft House. It should not be confused with Hill House in Cheyney Street or Hill House at North Brook End.
An interesting property, with a long and narrow plot of land, which originally ran the length of Trap Road from Hay Street to the parish boundary at West Brook. At some point, roughly half of the plot at its west end was absorbed into the adjoining agricultural land. The dimensions of the plot suggest it was likely a land-grab from the adjoining highway or possibly from the agricultural land running alongside on the south, which was known as Lammas and later Hawkes. As the boundary on the north is immediately contiguous with the road, with little verge, it was likely land enclosed from the highway.
Tithe Map 1839
Listing details: Grade II since 4 September 1986
House. Early C18. Timber-framed and roughcast rendered; painted brick. Red brick side stack to north gable. Plain tiled roof. Two storeys with rear outshut. One ground floor and one first floor casement window; panelled door to left hand with open porch. Coved eaves cornice.
Click on any image below to view. Click again to enlarge. Drag to view entire image.
Photographs & Newspapers
Last Updated on February 4, 2024