24 Hay Street, The Shanty
This plot of land was part of the small open field The Crofts and as part of the Enclosure of the parish in 1807-17, it was an allotment of freehold land to the Earl of Hardwicke. From the Map it appears there was already a cottage on the roadside. The allotment was described as 0a 1r 36p, so about half an acre, with an allotment to the Vicar of Steeple Morden on the east, Hay Street on the west and old enclosures elsewhere. There is no mention of a cottage in the description in the Award, although one appears to be depicted on the Map.
Enclosure Map 1817
The Tithe Apportionment and Map prepared in 1839 show the same plot, numbered No 80 on the Map, with a cottage on the south boundary. A parish pond is still showing on the north-west corner. In the Apportionment the owner is given as still the Earl of Hardwicke and his tenant as occupier was Thomas Winters, with the description “cottage and garden 0a 2r 13p”, so the extent of the land has grown by 17p. This may be the tiny area of land, which appeared to have a cottage on, next to the road at the time of Enclosure.
Tithe Map 1839
On 31 December 1892 the Hardwicke lands in the parish were offered for sale at auction and John Jarman bought Church and Moco Farms, along with Lot 16, which was the two estate cottages next to the School and this plot, which is described as gardens 0a 1r 34p. For the whole lot Jarman paid £160. There was no mention of a cottage on this plot. After John Jarman’s death his trustees sold his estate at auction on 12 July 1933 and this plot was Lot 10 an enclosure of garden ground comprising an area of 0a 1r 34p – no mention of cottage. The purchaser was noted as G Hart for £40.
Home for the Harts
George James Hart was born at Guilden Morden in 1891 and married Beatrice Webb there in 1922. In the early 1930s they were living at Station Road, Steeple Morden, but having bought the Hay Street plot of land, they had the bungalow built that still stands today. George was a cycle agent for all his working life, until he died in 1946.
George and Beatrice had a son Douglas George born 1925, who married Myrtle Constance Rogers in 1947 and they moved in with Beatrice, who in turn died in 1957. Douglas and Myrtle had Wendy Sheila and Nigel Peter.
On 1 December 1978 Douglas sold the northern part of the plot to Lindsay-Connell Developments and 26 Hay Street was built.
In 2022 24 Hay Street is owned by Myrtle Constance Hart, Nigel Peter Hart and Keith Howard Dellar, husband of Wendy Sheila Hart
The plot with bungalow was offered for sale in July/August 2020 with the prospect of re-development of the site.
Property description was as follows and images are below.
- 4 bedrooms
- 1 bathroom
- 4 reception rooms
- Detached single storey home
- 2100 sq. Ft. (Approximately)
- 0.3 acres (Approximately)
- Enviable location
- Fantastic scope to redevelop (STPP)
A substantial detached single storey home set in a generous plot of 0.3 acres (approximately) holding a central position within this sought after South Cambridgeshire Village. The adaptable accommodation comprises three/four bedrooms, lounge, kitchen/breakfast room, dining room, family room, family bathroom, conservatory and a guest cloakroom. This property also benefits from having a garage and outbuildings. There is fantastic potential to substantially alter/modernise this property as well as fully redevelop (STPP) to create a home of your dreams.”
Maps & Sale Particulars 1891 & 1933
July 2020 Sale Images and Details
Last Updated on March 19, 2022