Pain’s Farmstead, Church Street
There was an ancient farmstead in Church Street, with frontage extending into Cheyney Street. Over the years it has evolved into:
1 & 3 Church Street
5, 7, 9, 9a, 11 & 13 Church Street
2 & 2a Cheyney Street
From about 1901 to 1951 it also included The Priory, the old farmhouse under a new name and separate ownership. After it burnt down in December 1951 the land was merged back into the original plot.
Pain’s Farmstead is a given name used here, as the Pain family were long term owners of this property.
PAGE IN EARLY STAGES OF PREPARATION
Enclosure Map 1816
Tithe Map 1839
Last Updated on October 14, 2020