Today Odsey School is a private house and viewed from the street shelters behind a generous hedge, as the photograph shows!
The school was built by the Cambridgeshire County Council and opened in 1911, no doubt having been championed by Sir George Fordham of Odsey, who was Chairman of Cambridgeshire County Council. It had spaces for 80 children, but the agricultural depression was still raging and the local population was reducing. In the early years attendance was around 60 pupils, although by 1925 this had halved. From 1954 the 11+ children went to Bassingbourn Village College, which further reduced numbers, although the school survived until 1972, when was closed and pupils transferred to Steeple Morden School.
PAGE IN PREPARATION
Last Updated on July 19, 2020